Excursion to the hill of Glory
- The company Limberi provides tour services for organized groups and individual tourists
- This means that we do not sell tickets
One of the most famous memorial, which was banked by the whole world, is situated in the Minsk region 21 km from Minsk on the Moscow highway. The history of the Mound of Glory dates back to 1944. That year, in June, on the location where the mound is, one of the main battle of the liberation of Belarus occurred within the operation Bagration. Here a German force grouping of 105 thousand soldiers was surrounded. This event is named „Minsky Kotel“. Debellation of foemen ended on 11 July and became one more key step towards the liberation of Belarus. The offensive operation Bagration was conducted by 1st, 2nd and 3rd Belarusian and 1st Baltic Fronts involving the guerilla fighters. It was begun on 23rd June, 1944 and finished on 29th August when Belarus, the parts of Lithuania and Poland were liberated.
„Handful to handful“ – what does that mean? An imagination draws a picture how thousands of hands bring carefully handfuls of earth from the hero cities to the base of the Mound.
The Mound really has been partially banked „handful to handful“. Those days witnesses remember that people arrived to the embankment area in braws like it was a holiday. People who wanted to bank the earth from the hero cities and sites of battles lined up near the barrow. The stream of those wishing to pay the tribute to the memory of soldiers was like a great pilgrimage, that lasted a year and a half.
An unveiling of the memorial complex „The Mound of Glory of the Soviet Army — the liberator“ was held on 5 July, 1969.